Friday, May 23, 2014

Summer Quilt Challenge

Ever since I started to sew, I've really wanted to tackle a BIG project that my family could use for years, and possible pass down from generations.  I never got anything like that, so I think it would be really cool to start a tradition.  And what better thing than a quilt to become our first family heirloom!

First, let me tell you that I'm TERRIFIED about making a quilt.  I've attempted a couple of times at making quilt squares and they never came out right.  That's the great thing about doll clothing, it's a little forgiving.  But on a quilt, it's noticeable if things don't line up just right.  And you have to use math.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE math, however whenever it comes to applying it to sewing, 2 + 2 never = 4 for me.

But, I'm going to overcome my fear and triumph my need to pass on a legacy with this summer quilt challenge.

I need parameters when I'm learning a new thing.  I need a schedule, and a deadline.  I need to be held accountable.  I need a short timeline.  I need variety.  Or things sometimes have a way of not getting done.  So I have set up this challenge to HOPEFULLY be no-fail, and you can help hold me accountable!

Here's the dealio: from June 1st through August 31st, I will be making 50 different 12 inch squares for my first ever Queen Size Quilt, and finishing it up.  (I'll write about how I came up with that figure in another post, with links how you can figure out to do your own).  I think that 92 day deadline will be good, that means I have a little over a day to make each square, and the rest of the time to squander trying to figure out sashing, quilting and binding.  Every day (or every other day) I will post the "square of the day", a tutorial how I made it (or where I found a tutorial for it).  I will be getting inspiration and patterns from searching the internet and Pinterest - here's my board if you want to follow it :)


You are more than welcome to follow along.  And if you do, please feel free to share your progress; I'd love to see how it's coming along for you.

Anyway, that's all for now.  I have a few things on the cutting table waiting to be sewn up and shipped to a fabulous doll!  Stay tuned for the progress of this challenge :)

Ciao!
Guin

No comments:

Post a Comment